Tips Upon Arrival
– Set your watch or take note of the local time as not to miss any appointments or transportation.
– Do not act out of disregard for local customs and laws or you may be forced to stay for an unwanted extended period. Make a scene only if you need help as during a robbery or medical issue.
– Wear one backpack, the one with more valuables in front and one in back to make them harder to steal and cushion yourself in case of injury.
– Keep your hands in your pockets if they are not holding anything to deter theft.
– DO NOT talk to strangers who talk to you first unless you need to talk to them first.
– For females, wear a ring even if you are not married, and try to travel with others for safety reasons. Try not to walk alone in the dark in isolated areas.
– Be tough and do not give in to peer pressure. Walk away or make a scene if needed.
– Try to keep my phone off unless you need to use the Wifi or take a picture.
– Apps like Word Lens can help translate written text in another language to your language.
– Be extra cautious and always be aware of your surroundings.
– Research local customs ahead of time so you do not get slapped with trouble or hidden fees.
– Make friends with other travelers when you can, you never know when you might need help or vice versa. At the same time, assume they may rob you when you are not looking.
– Always be early to the airport, allow 2 hours between transfers, and hopefully to all your other bookings as well.
– Most importantly, have fun!